Yes, applicants who would like to apply for the research track are encouraged to select both tracks when applying through ERAS. We do not require any supplementary application materials for individuals applying to the research track but strongly encourage you to contact us to tell us more about your research interests! We would love to connect you with people of interest on your interview day.
While Sub-I’s are not mandatory for applicants, they are strongly recommended and count toward the creation of the rank list. Applicants who cannot complete a Sub-I prior to interviewing are encouraged to complete a Sub-I prior to beginning internship.
Most residents do have cars to facilitate transportation to off-site rotations. However, some residents rely solely on public transportation (The “T”), ride sharing and rental services such as zipcar. Many residents also use the Hubway bicycle sharing program to commute and get around the city. Discounted T passes and Hubway passes are available for BWH/HMS residents.
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital Boston and Massachusetts Mental Health Center are all easily accessible via the green line (“E” line: Brigham Circle stop or “D” line: Longwood stop).
- Faulkner Hospital is accessible via the Partner’s Shuttle Bus, the orange line, or the 38 bus.
- McLean hospital is in Belmont MA, about 30 minutes (9 miles) from Brigham and Women’s Hospital. It is accessible via MBTA 73 bus or the Fitchburg Line commuter rail. However most residents will prefer a car when traveling to McLean.
- Hubway: https://www.thehubway.com/
If accepted, BWH will sponsor either an H-1B or J-1 visa.
Please apply through the HMS Visiting Clerkship Program. (https://meded.hms.harvard.edu/exchange-clerkship-apply)
- For medical students who qualify for underrepresented minority status (African American, Native American, and Hispanic American), the Minority Faculty Development Program of the Harvard Medical School (HMS) Office for Diversity and Community Partnership (DCP), provides support for clerkships as part the HMS Exchange Clerkship Program. Please visit the HMS DCP website for more information.